Poppy is 5 months today! And as of last Saturday she weighed 39.5 pounds at the vet. Doing great I'll say! I hope she crosses the 60 mark with ease as a full-grown :)
I've just had a shower (above) and I am a stylish dog (below) :) After all the bragging on my blog about Poppy yesterday, I went home to more delightful behaviour, so I decided to brag some more today :) Poppy and I went for a pretty long walk last evening and on the way we met someone who was clearly uncomfortable with dogs. It was dark and he was standing stiff in the shadows by the park, so that we would pass him by and he could carry on. Poppy however did not like his body language at all and I guess for dogs it's like screaming out "I hate you, get out of my face!". So there she stood, poised to half-run away, half-attack growling menacingly and barking uncomfortably at the man. It was fun for me to watch because I had never seen that side of my sweet gentle Poppy before! The best part of the evening though was when we reached the end of our street. Chris, a neighbor in our community who is passionate about dogs and has helped us with tips and advice regarding pu...
Yesterday was a fun evening... We first took Poppy and Preeti-Gautam's dog Moca to Lake Austin. Redbud Trl has an amazing dog park, leash-free zone and places for dogs to enter and swim in the water. Of course all the dogs go crazy there. Poppy tried her first swim and it was incredible! At first she hung out at the shallow edges of the water tentatively, watching Moca play and trying to frolic around the edges. Then VIkram slowly lured her in with a treat and before we knew it, she was doing a little lap in the water. After Moca left to play with some other dogs, though, she lost interest and started growling at something in the water. We got the dogs home and shampooed them clean. They promptly rolled themsleves over on the grass to dry and started playing with each other. AT first Moca had tried to assert himself over Poppy and we thought she was scared, but little did we know! She was licking his mouth and licking and licking till she had the big boy wrapped around her tiny paw...
Poppy is a 4.5 months old pure-bred Labrador Retriever (yellow). Today was the day we got her home. While she was excellent and very patient on the drive from Pflugerville to South Austin, coaxing her out of the little travel crate from the back of my 2-door car into my arms so I could put her down on the floor was a scary 15-minutes. Vikram wasn't home yet and she refused to come out, which worried me... But I managed to coax her out with treats and grab her in my arms when she came out excitedly to munch the little treat. By then Vikram drove up too.. We put her first (Aggie) collar on her. Turns out it was too big but what the hell, I'll buy her a puppy one tomorrow. So we took her (on a leash) to sniff her new house and all its corners. She went upstairs excitedly but was rather scared while coming downstairs and refused to budge (from the top of the stairs). Again, it was time to heave and ho and carry 28-pound Poppy down the stairs. She excitedly walked into her new crate...
Comments