A day in my privileged life... a short essay by Poppy

It's morning, I can hear the alarm go off and even though I am still sleepy, I think I'll go lick my parents' feet (if they are falling off the bed) and wake them up! That way I can eat! Wait mommy, no, you're awake but where are you going? Feed me! So after 30 minutes of waiting, mom feeds me my yummy meal of frozen green beans, water and dog kibble... snort, gulp, beeeeeeeelch and the food is over, err, hehe...! Time to go stretch in the grass outside and pee a little.
Dad usually takes his coffee mug and heads up to the study by this time, but he stops to open the upstairs balcony door on the way and let's me sit and stare at the world. Mom on the other hand is paranoid and thinks I'll jump out or something... hrrmph, as if!!! (Wait, can I do that? It looks scary but maybe I can jump off the balcony when Ruthie is outside her house, so we can play...?)
Anyway, it's fun and warm up on the balcony and i love it. I can usually see Ruthie and her parents go by and whine to them... I usually also see these two big old mean dogs with unfriendly humans walking into our cove and back out and I love growling and barking at them - now whose da boss? I see our neighbor's mom and love barking out to her... she thinks I am barking at her. I think she's errm, wierd, because if she ever meets me outside, she quickly backs off or puts a distance between us. So it's fun startling her from up here. She scurries away quickly.
Wait, what's that? Daddy's calling me - oh no, is it time already? I go rushing down and out the back door. "Poppy, go potty..." he keeps saying. Mommy seems to have left. I'd rather just sniff at every blade of grass and eat some weeds, and... "Poppy, go potty" oooh, scary voice!!! I run and do my job and come back in. I jump on him and lick him, he tastes so good after all!
Crate time... lights out... sleepy time.

Sometime later that day, Daddy comes home for lunch, turns on the TV at full volume, releases me from the crate, gives me a yummy treat after making me do the high-five, eats something delicious smelling, puts me back inside and leaves. More sleepy time... Sometimes if I am really bored I will pull at the towel through my crate bars and start munching on it. Mommy usually comes home and lets me out... she seems so happy to do that and I am happier to see her after so many hours!!! So we both rush outside and she let's me jump on her and lick her a few times. Wait, why does she keep pulling back her face when I try to lick it? Ok, I'll just sniff her clothes and lick her hands... i love you and i am out of the crate now!

If it's sunny outside, I'll sit and bask in the sun - 30 minutes of getting really hot, then 15 minutes of cooling off on the tile outside - on and off, back and forth. Mom usually creates these delicious smells in the kitchen. I am not allowed inside so I just sit and starte outside. She'll throw me some cheese or dog biscuits if I am lucky. Finally (FINALLY) she feeds me - my evening food menu is the same as the morning menu and is still yummy!

If it's a Tuesday, Ruthie comes over to play. If it's a Thursday I go over to their's to play. On other days, Mommy takes me for a walk around the neighborhood. I meet some other dogs, kids, humans, some who love me, some wo are falsely polite to us, some who are truly warm, and some good old friends like Iram and her new baby (who by the way has the most attractive pram toys), or Chris Compton or some of the other dog-lovers. I usually come back exhausted, and take a 20-minute power nap. I regain my energy and start playing with my squeaky toys or chewing my bone. Daddy's usually home too so there's always excitement. Unfortunately he likes to have the TV on at all times, and loudly too!

If the humans are discussing something loudly, I'll pretend to run into the crate so it breaks up their conversation and they start calling me with warm, fuzzy names. End of noise pollution, hehe! Sometimes I just want them to play with me all evening and I'll take them my squeakiest toy and tantalize them to throw it for me. (Daddy and I once broke the glass chandelier because we were playing fetch inside and I saw Daddy trying to clean it up for the longest time, mommy STILL bitches about it!)

Sometimes we play tug in the garden and it's fun... I lose some, they lose some, but I know I can tire them out, even though they claim they tire ME out!! HA!

On the weekends they sometimes take me for a swim or to meet my boyfriend Moca... but more of that in another post!

By the time we're all done with our day, Mommy and Daddy tell me to go potty one last time, before they turn on the security alarm and we all go to sleep. I love curling up on my pillow covered by a pink princess blanket on the floor of their bedroom... time to sleep, dream of food, and sleep some more!

Comments

Afternoon said…
Poppy looks so cute in her winter gear! I like her socks.

Popular posts from this blog

Poppy the Protector

Woof